Friday, September 7, 2007

Venturing into the world of blogging...

...not to be confused with clogging. The only similarity being that I've never done either one. I'm not sure what the point of a blog is, other than to ease my conscience over the fact that I'm a miserable journal keeper. Let me rephrase that. I keep a miserable journal. No, still not right... Okay, I am miserable about keeping a journal. There. I think that works. The bottom line is that part of me feels that I should write something worthwhile for those who come behind me. The other part of me is quick to point out that "we" stay up too late at night as it is and cannot fathom staying up for another 30 minutes or so writing in a journal. I've always thought that the "handwriting" was integral to the journaling writing (and reading) experience. However, I type faster than I write, so thus it is. My conscience is appeased.

I read a quote recently that said, "Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing about." I can't remember off-hand where I read it or who said it. I'll try to follow up on that. But it's certainly sage wisdom. Here's to hoping that occasionally something worthwhile gets written here.

3 comments:

teabelly said...

i am glad you have joined the party!

Andy Allred said...

Journal keeping is very, very rewarding. I now have 10 years of it myself. Most years are everyday. Some years have some missing days. And a few months in that period have less entries than missing entries.

I think you're right about the typing thing for journals. Handwriting does take a wicked long time. I started typing my journal entries out six years ago and I never regretted it. Plus, it's easier for looking things up in your past entries.

Andy

Tyler Lyman Family said...

Well, I must say, your miserable journaling seems to me well-written...definately worth reading (I think it was Ben Franklin who said it). For whatever it's worth, handwriting seems to me theraputic (I've heard refined repetition creates pathways in the brain that make you happy), while typing in this chair has been horrible for my posture! But what would we do w/o blogs?