Sunday, September 9, 2007

Going a little greener...

You all know that I have a passion for environmental conservation, green living, etc. Well, we took another step in the green direction this past week. We installed a high-tech solar-powered clothes drying system. Also known as a clothes line. :-) This environment-friendly addition was the result of our dryer going kaputz. We simply didn't have the money to replace it right now due to the fact that we now have two college students in the family and I haven't gotten any sub work lately (still early in the school year). We found our solution in a $30 clothesline and a $5 bag of cement. Much cheaper than a new dryer!

Believe it or not, the clothes dry almost as fast as in the dryer, while using ZERO energy. Except for the human energy involved in hanging them up, which was not that big of a deal, and in fact somewhat satisfying in an old-fashioned way. The area where we put up the "solar dryer" is already populated by plants which are watered by the 'grey water' from the washer. By using biodegradable laundry detergent, we are able to recycle the water for a second purpose. This is definitely the "greenest" corner of the house. I plan to plant more cutting flowers in this area to make it prettier as well as useful. I think I might also plant a rosemary plant around the base of the clothesline to make the clothes smell even better!

Yes, I'm sure we'll get a new dryer eventually; but for now I'm enjoying the sense of satisfaction that comes with making good use of this Arizona heat and doing something good for the environment.

3 comments:

Amy G. said...

you really do amaze me cas! good for you! maybe if we could ever pay you for your generous offering you wouldn't have to expend your "human" energy. still working on it:)

Tyler Lyman Family said...

BTW, how does your new "gently used" dryer work? I keep meaning to ask you if that worked out for you. And also, this is Mikki on Bek's computer

Shigz is my name said...

when do you think you'll get A new dryer? make sure you invite me over before you do